Now that summer is finally here (well at least for this week!), a reminder to close and lock windows when going out, and not to leave windows open in unoccupied rooms even when you are home. If you are going on holiday make your home look occupied by setting timers to turn on lights when it gets dark. If possible ask a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property and ensure bins are put back after rubbish collections and remove any leaflets sticking out of the letter box.
Community Roadwatch – Volunteers required
- Transport for London and the Police have now launched Community Roadwatch in Haringey.
- Working together with local residents, the aim is to improve road safety through education and engagement.
- Local residents will work with their local police teams using speed detection equipment to I.D speeding vehicles.
- Locations will be injury collision hotspots or locations of community concern.
- Volunteers will not be allowed to monitor their own roads.
- To register your interests please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Holiday booking fraud – advice from Action Fraud
With summer holidays fast approaching, individuals are often more exposed to travel booking frauds when looking for last minute package deals / cheap flights. Whether paying upfront for a family holiday or simply booking a flight, payments are transferred only to discover that the holiday / airline ticket does not exist and was sold to you by a bogus travel company. Fraudsters will often lure in potential customers with low prices and ‘one time only’ offers that are simply too good to pass up, requesting payment by the preferred method of direct bank transfer.
- Avoid – Paying for a holiday / airline tickets / accommodation via direct bank transfer. No reputable company will ever request payment via this method.
Responding to unsolicited calls, texts or emails offering holidays at incredibly low prices.
- Protect Yourself – Whenever possible, pay for your holiday by credit card as it offers increased protection. Always remember to look for the ‘https’ and locked padlock icon in the address bar before entering your payment details. Never feel pressured to make a booking for fear that you will miss out on this ‘low price’ opportunity. If you have never used the company before, take your time to do some online research to ensure they are reputable. Should you make a flight or hotel booking through a travel company, feel free to separately check with the hotel / particular airline that your booking does indeed exist.
With best regards
Community Neighbourhood Watch Link Manager